I served this casserole tonight while my good friend was over, and we all loved it. It’s a very healthy dish, and is exploding with flavor, so good!
– 1 cup uncooked rice (I use brown rice)
– 2 cups chicken broth
– 2 tbsp. olive oil
– 1 small onion, diced
– 1 large zucchini, thinly sliced, and then halved again
– 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
– 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms (optional)
– 1/2 tsp. cumin
– 1/4 (or more) cayenne pepper
– 1/4 tsp. salt
– 1 can of black beans (15 ounces) drained and rinsed
– 1 can diced green chiles (4 ounces)
– 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Start by placing your uncooked rice in a small saucepan, add the two cups of chicken broth, stir, and bring to a boil. Once the liquid is boiling, turn the heat down to low and simmer covered for about 40 minutes.
Once the rice is finished cooking, cover with a lid and set aside.
Preheat oven to 350F. and grease an 8×11-inch baking dish, set side.
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet, and add in the diced onions. Cook the onions until they are soft, then add the zucchini and the chicken. Cook until the chicken is no longer pink inside and the zucchini is soft. Season with cumin, salt, and the cayenne pepper.
In a large bowl, add in the chicken mixture, cooked rice, black beans, chiles, and half of the cheese.
Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish and top with the remaining cheese. Cover with foil, and bake for 30 minutes. After the 30 minutes are up, remove the foil and bake for another 10 minutes. I also turned my oven to broil for the last few minutes to achieve a golden brown color.
Let cool, and enjoy!