I’d never made a chicken tortilla soup before, so I was a little hesitant to try my hand at it. I’ve only had it maybe twice in my life and really wasn’t sure what to expect in terms of how it was supposed to look or even taste. I just went for it though, and I was pleasantly surprised with the results! I topped it with shredded Monterey Jack and tortilla chips, and it took it to a whole other level! Will definitely be a repeat recipe, and my toddler even gobbled it up! Score!
– 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed
– 15 ounce can of corn, drained
– 15 ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
– 5 cups of chicken broth
– 15 ounce can of black beans, drained
– 1/2 cup onion, diced
– 3/4 cup green pepper, diced
– 3 cloves of garlic, minced
– 1/4 tsp. chili powder
– 1/8 – 1/4 tsp. cumin
– 1 tsp. salt, more or less to taste
– 1 tsp. pepper, more or less, to taste
– shredded Monterey Jack cheese
– tortilla chips, crushed
Add all of the ingredients, (except the cheese and tortilla chips), to your slow cooker. Cook on high for 4 hours, or on low for 8 hours.
Before serving, remove the chicken breasts and shred the meat. It should basically be filling apart at this point.
Once shredded, add back to the slow cooker. Taste your soup, and adjust the seasonings at this point.
Serve with shredded Monterey Jack and the crushed tortilla chips. Delicious!