My favorite thing at PF Chang’s are the chicken lettuce wraps. Hubby is on a low carb diet right now so I’ve been trying to come up with unique things for him to eat. I found this recipe and thought it would be perfect for him, and me too. Also, surprisingly Paisley gobbled them down and had a lot of fun with the lettuce wrap part 🙂
I did tweak the recipe a bit and ended up adding in celery and onion and cutting the sauce in half, so I’ll post the recipe with the changes I made.
– 1 head of lettuce, I used Boston lettuce because it has the perfect “cup” shape, butter lettuce would also do well I think
– 1/2 cup chicken broth
– 1/8 cup of low sodium soy sauce
– 1 tbsp. brown sugar
– 1/2 tbsp. cornstarch
– 2 tbsp. Olive oil
– 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
– 1 small bell pepper, I used a green one since that’s what I had on hand
– 1 -2 large carrots, finely diced
– 3-4 stalks celery, finely diced
– 1/2 large onion
– 2 garlic cloves, minced, or you can also use 1-2 tsp. garlic powder
In a small bowl, combine the chicken broth, soy sauce, brown sugar, and cornstarch together. Whisk to thoroughly combine and set aside.
Heat the olive oil in a good size pan with tall sides, and add in your chicken breast pieces. Cook until no longer pink and mostly cooked through. Next, add in your vegetables (onion, pepper, carrots, and celery) and sauté until they are tender but still have a little bit of crunch.
Add the soy sauce liquid mixture to the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes until the sauce starts to thicken a bit. Make sure you give it a few nice big stirs to evenly coat everything.
Remove the pan from the heat and let cool for a few minutes. In the meantime, wash and dry your lettuce and remove any hard bits of the lettuce stem.
Take a piece of lettuce and lay it on your plate, spoon the filling into the lettuce “cups” and proceed to eat like a taco. I also made some brown rice to go along with our meal and it’s very tasty to add the rice to your filling. That’s how Paisley and I ate ours, and hubby just skipped the rice altogether. I also served this meal with orange slices to make it a little more festive 🙂